Project Name: PIMS 3367 - First National Communication (FNC) to UNFCCC of Turkey on Climate Change
Budget: USD 405,000 (GEF)
Timeline: August 2005 - October 2006
What has been the situation?
The Second Phase of the Climate Change Enabling Activity has been in full progress and the first outputs of the project have been drafted and circulated to the stakeholders. The First National Communication Project Results will be presented at the Final Panel in October 2006. Those include the Emission Inventory on sector basis including removals by forests, Macro-Economic Analysis of Carbon Taxes and Technological Investments, Turkey's Climate Change Scenarios, Impact Studies on Water Resources, Health, ie. Sectoral Analysis (Cement, Iron & Steel), Energy Sector Projections and other.
What's our mission?
UNDP acts as the implementing agency through the Project Management consists a project manager and an assistant in order to:
- provide consultation in all steps of stocktaking exercise
- validate and feedback in stocktaking report of Turkey
- facilitate execution of the project activities
How are we doing this?
- In consultation with the project stakeholders for identification of priority activity areas in terms of category selection approach in order to allocate resources in the most effective manner by establishing links with relevant regional and international expert institutions,
- With conducting assistance in FNC preparation activities with a manner of ensuring sustainability of activities for further National Communications.
How will Turkey benefit?
a) An inventory of greenhouse gases for the year 1990-2003
b) Analysis of potential measures to abate the increase in greenhouse gas emissions in Turkey;
c) An assessment of potential impacts of climate change in Turkey and adaptation measures;
d) Assessment of cost and benefits of various energy policy alternatives on climate change;
e) Capacity building in the areas of scientific and technical potential and institutional relations infrastructure and data network for information and data acquisition to enable the development of national communications in Turkey on a continuous basis;
f) Preparation of the FNC of Turkey and submission to the COP
g) Sustainable links and contributive outputs for further National Communications
Who are our partners?
The inter-ministerial National Climate Change Coordination Council, initially established in 2001, was revised in early 2004. The new Council has set up a Technical Commission that consists of various working groups who will eventually contribute to the preparation of the national communication. Project Team works in-consultation with the interdisciplinary working groups which are formed from several Ministries in accordance with main topics of National Communications.
Please see the institutional framework